- Extensive knowledge and hands on experience with technology, both hardware and software. Actively built and supported a wide variety of platforms ranging from mainframes and minicomputers to PCs and Macs to Cloud-based solutions. Deep knowledge of Internet infrastructure, protocols, and the technologies that leverage it.
- Extensive experience building on-site data centers from ground up as well as migrating aging onsite data centers to the cloud. Strong security expertise, covering regulations, PCI and HIPAA compliance as well as battle hardening against intrusions and mitigating active DdoS attacks.
- Successfully managed numerous IT related projects and team members, sourcing, hiring, and overseeing the development teams, Q/A and documentation efforts, technologies employed, and change/release management schedules.
- Worked directly with customers, business analysts, other business executives and industry leaders to address the business needs by accurately and successfully translating the needs into IT solutions on a timely and budgeted basis.
- Excellent organizational and writing skills, especially with technical topics. Maintainer and contributor to many open source projects and mentor to many up-and-coming developers. Founder of Baltimore's preiminent B'More on Rails User group.
|Georgia Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Science in Information and Computer Science.
Emphasis was on large project Software Engineering, Information
Management, and Human Factors of hardware and software designs.
Degree also recognizes successful participation in the cooperative
program working for IBM.
||Over 30 years experience working with computers.
Have produced notable work or held positions of responsibility as
product manager over full life-cycle development,
graphics and web designer,
support technician to several hundred users,
on-line help author and technical writer
||Fluent in Ruby (12+ years), Delphi [18+ years],
Turbo Pascal [4 years],
C [5 years], and
Visual Basic [4 years]
Visual Basic Script (i.e. ASP), PHP, Perl and Tcl
Knowledgable in C++, SEDL++, LISP, Assembly, REXX, and Ada.
||Very knowledgeable in the internet realm with more than twenty years
of experience with various aspects of the internet from developing
web sites, programming Unix machines to configuring and installing
TCP/IP software on clients machines. Experience with setting up and
maintaining Microsoft IIS on NT and Apache, Nginx and lighttpd on Linux and Mac OS X.
Have developed ISAPI DLLs, XML forms, and dyanamically constructed pages.
and constructing standards based sites with Cascading Style Sheets.
||Have developed many databases on several different platforms,
including MySQL (15+ years), SQL Server (15+ years), PostgresSQL, 12+ years, Oracle 7, 8i, 9i, 10g [8+ years], Interbase, Paradox, MS-Access, dBase, Sybase, and DB/2. Very
proficient with SQL [18 years]. Fluent in Transact-SQL, PL/SQL and others.
||Programming platforms have included PCs (DOS, Windows and Linux), Citrix Metaframe, IBM Mainframes
(VMS and TSO4), DEC VAX's (UNIX C and VAX Assembler), Suns (UNIX C), RISC 6000 (AIX C).
||Excellent organizational and authoring skills, especially with
technical topics. Have written several business proposals
for outside presentation with 100% job acceptance rate. Was published
in the June 1996 Delphi Developer and subsequently solicited for
Peachtree Medical Billing
|Oct 2012 -
Working with an international roster of clients primarily in product owner by proxy role to help clients migrate from old Ruby on Rails systems to modern Rails versions. Following major upgrades, helped clients drastically reduce technical debt, modernize infrastructure, build new functionality and stay current with emerging business requirements.
|Chief Information Officer / Ruby on Rails Consultant
- Primary Contractor helping an online bookstore in Europe upgrade from Rails 1.2 to 4.2 and growing product database from 4 million items to over 11 million. Daily and weekly data loads, cover images, and price calculations fully automated. System fully integrated with backend business systems, including Navision via SOAP protocol, DIBS, and QuickPay payment gateways. Now mobile friendly responsive.
- Working with priminant government agency in Georgia as sub-contractor to connect all court houses across the state to integration partners using Ruby on Rails and SOAP protocol. Internal Rails record tracking system upgraded from 1.1 to 4.6. Browser extensions built for Chrome and Firefox to seamlessly integrate record keeping and editing with desktop Office suites.
- Helped a prestegious national law firm grow their website of 150 lawyers in six offices to well over 400 lawyers and 9 offices across the nation with comprehensive content management system for managing lawyer profiles and social media and news outreach efforts. Integrated LDAP with website platform to share lawyer contact data on profiles automatically.
Peachtree Medical Billing
|June 2010 -
Responsible for all Information Technology and full life-cycle of data entry and quality, with strong focus on workflow automation and reduction of manual efforts in repetitive tasks.
|Chief Information Officer
- Primarily utilized Ruby, Rails, Sinatra, Padrino, and Sequel ORM.
- Built highly dynamic rules based system to intelligently handle loading patient billing data, generating and filing claims and invoices with an industry-leading payout in the face of a constantly changing insurance reimbursement rules and regulations climate.
- Designed and implemented workflow automation that drastically reduced manual labor involved in loading of daily patient billing data, virtually eliminating hand-keying the data into the billing system -- allowing the company to double in size and volume every four months.
- Upgraded the companys two servers into four physical Xen servers, virtualizing all services onto the Xen servers. Converted PBX phones to VoIP and built small data center onsite that handled all VoIP traffic, more than 50 remote users through VPN and Remote Desktop with a mix of open source and commercial components. Companys entire operational stack automatically backed up, encrypted and fully recoverable from catastrophic event.
Medical Decision Logic, Inc.
|March 2005 -
Led a team of more than 30 developers in building industry first full spectrum medical research management system.
|Director of Software Development and Network Infrastructure
- Oversaw the development of clinical trials research workflow management system for John Hopkins Universitys Oncology group.
- Led early discovery stages that identified multi-department strengths and weaknesses of currently deployed systems and business practices and roles of virtually all major players in the JHU Oncology group and developing short-term and long-term development stages for rolling out modern, web-based solution. Led the development effort of twelve major modules (Patient Registration/Enrollment and Study Protocol Builder, Financials, etc.). System was developed with a model driven approach using Ruby on Rails, Linux OS, Oracle 10g, SQL Server 2005, XSB (Prolog derivative for temporal logic and reasoning engines for the workflow management), and Microsoft Reporting Services for reporting and OLAP analysis of collected data.
- Focused on developing and promoting teamwork, identifying scalability issues, advocating end-user centric usability design principles, targeting quality issues in code construction, and specifying platforms and technologies to utilize.
- Designed and implemented onsite state-of-the-art HIPAA compliant data center. Sourced, negotiated support contracts, and played a direct role in installation of all equipment and configuring firewalls and intrusion prevention systems as well as biometric access controls and video surveillance and monitoring equipment.
- System is developed with a model driven approach using Ruby on Rails, Linux OS, Oracle 10g,
XSB (Prolog derivative for temporal logic and reasoning engines for the workflow management),
and Oracle 10g Reporting Services and Discoverer for reporting and OLAP analysis of collected data.
- Worked with recruiters to grow IT team from four to 35 members in eight months time. Interviewed, hired, and assembled teams. Played an active role in training new members and organizing workflow and ensuring agile and scrum practices were followed to maximize productivity and deliverables.
The University of Georgia
|Sept. 2002 -
Responsible for maintaining comprehensive in-house built data management system
based on Oracle 8i and Sun Solaris for the Veterinary Colleges business functions,
which includes client and patient tracking, billing, accounting, financial reporting,
medical records, pharmacy functions, inventory tracking, and medical diagnostic
recording. Responsible for keeping system up and running and managing upgrade
cycles and working with the outside vendor to address software issues and
enhancements to the system.
|System Analyst - Principle
- Within first few days of starting job, successfully diagnosed and stablized
Pharmacy to UNIX interface, which was crashing nightly.
- Performed extensive Solaris maintenance to bring virtually unpatched Solaris production server
box up to current security patch level as well as plugging various known security holes.
- Successfully rebuilt backup Solaris server and automated back up of nightly production snapshots
to backup server.
- Successfully carried upgraded business application software through more than 15 patch releases.
This included establishing testing and quality assurance levels prior to upgrades and communicating
with hospital administrators to ensure timely, thorough testing and scheduling of upgrades and
timely resolution of all critical issues through the third party vendor.
- Jointedly worked with Vendor's top DBA's to pinpoint performance issues, diagnose and tune the
application at the database physical file, logical schema, and application levels, improving some
processing times by a factor of 15 (45 seconds down to 3 seconds) and nearly doubling average Oracle
internal processing performance.
- Helped restore confidence of user-base in IT department as a whole and established reputation
for fast, knowledgeable handling of user issues.
|Feb 2001 -
Founded Cybrains as a complete IT service company offering everything
from custom application and web development services to hardware
acquisition and configuration for small to mid-sized companies.
Performed consulting, software development, and other contracted IT work
for various clients. Returned to Haas Publishing Companies, Inc. for six months
to lead development team through phase II development that incorporated financial
tracking of distribution and publications operations. Worked with business analysts
to draft scope of work and architected all new modules and database schemas.
Actively worked with development team to implement these new modules as well as
retooling backend to optimize for WAN, which resulted in ten-fold performance increase.
- Successfully architected database schema and new software
modules for client that modelled complex billing services with
flexibility to adapt and configure module for servicing various
markets across the nation.
- Helped analyze and resolve issues with backup/restore scripts
on UNIX platform that were failing to execute properly after
hired UNIX specialist failed to resolve the issues.
- Set up small network system for a client consisting of both
traditionally wired systems and wireless WEP connections.
- Successfully migrated in-house Delphi/Oracle system from two-tiered
client/server fat client architecture to three-tiered thin-client
architecture that boosted WAN performance tenfold.
|Jan 2000 -
Was brought in to rescue a failing software development effort and successfully
stabilized product and implemented change and release management procedures.
Was responsible for all software products of the company as well as managing
development staff and product development scope, schedules and delivery. As
company downsized, accepted and incorporated the role of Manager of Network Systems
in addition to maintaining all duties as Director of Product Development.
Was responsible for managing a seven person development team, which included
mentoring Jr. developers, performing design and code reviews, and performance
reviews of team members. Was responsible for full lifecycle development and release
schedules and interacting extensively with business leaders, customers, subject
matter experts and Q/A personnel. Successfully maintained all back-end servers and
As Director of Product Development, was responsible for all software
products of the company as well as managing development staff
and product development scope, schedules and delivery.
- Stabilized a system prone to frequent crashing and abnormal
exits within four weeks of start. Also eliminated numerous deadlocking
situations and faulty multi-threading mechanisms in the application.
- Worked with team in first two months to reduce outstanding
bug list from approximately 400 distinct issues to less than
20 non-critical issues.
- Introduced OOA&D principles that ultimately reduced the
code base from ~600k lines of code to a more manageable 200k
lines of code while more than quadrupling the functionality
of the system itself.
- Developed and taught bi-weekly training sessions to train
junior developers in programming techniques and teach object
oriented design and coding principles.
- Architected and implemented full context searching of candidate
skills and resumes and building advanced search criterias that
automatically cross-referenced to job posting descriptions and
requirements and generated list of best matches of candidates
for the posted job, thus eliminating several hours per day of manual
keying of data to get same results.
- Developed, defined and oversaw all requirements documents
for enhancements to the system as well as delivery schedule
by working closely with others in the company. Worked closely
with Q/A team to ensure new functionality was tested thoroughly
and customer reps to ensure customers were aware of scheduled
system downtimes for impending software upgrades.
- Utilized relational nature of database to automate various
areas of the system as well as reducing data keying and redundant
data entry tasks.
- Oversaw implementation of database management tools that allowed
starter templates database schemas to be managed by non-technical
personnel as well as automatically applying development changes
to the database schemas of existing customers as new software
releases were rolled out.
- Architected and oversaw development XML forms definition interface
that allowed web-based data entry forms to be visually designed
and instantly deployed to the web. The XML standard not only
defined the form itself, but fully controlled the import of
collected data into the database so that any number of data
collection forms could be developed within the system and without
assistance from the development staff.
- Architected and implemented a complete e-mail client system
that mimicked Microsoft Outlook in functionality, including
HTML formatting, spell checking, address book, etc., but had
additional capability of importing candidate resumes submitted
via e-mail, whether attached as separate document or as part
of the e-mail itself. Additional functionality also allowed
contact information to be generated automatically and info in
the e-mail to be attached to the correct contact records for
tracking and viewing by others in the company.
As company downsized, incorporated the role of Manager of Information
Systems in addition to maintaining all duties as Director of Product
- Quickly restored all network operations that spanned 14 NT
4.0 servers and two Citrix Metaframe servers after they were
actively targeted for attack through the Internet. Additionally,
prevented all future network tampering through proper security
administration on all servers and firewall.
- Rebuilt corporate web-site and MS-Exchange server after existing
server hardware crashed.
- Implemented backup/restore procedures for all servers to allow
services to be quickly restored without rebuilding from scratch.
- Implemented anti-virus protection for entire network as well
as converting all desktop machines from Windows 95 to Windows
NT workstations to bring complete stability and security to
- Consolidated backend servers for production and development
environments from four servers each to one server hosting all
necessary backend services for each environment to increase
stability and ease of maintenance with reduced staff on hand.
- Researched and purchased two new server boxes that allowed
all 16 servers to be consolidated into two boxes that were easily
relocated to new office when current office closed down.
JLS, Inc. / Sage Resources, Inc.
|July 1999 -
Worked on two software development contracts simultaneously (aprox
60 hrs/wk) during this period. All assignments were successfully
completed on time or ahead of schedule.
Lead Delphi Developer/Oracle DBA to Haas Publishing Co.
Initially worked on the backend technologies supporting the ApartmentGuide.com
web-site. Utilized Delphi and Oracle and Visio and MS-Project.
- Built data export program that could run automatically on
a daily basis and export data for the various portals which
Apartment Guide provided content for, including Yahoo!, Lycos,
MSN Home, and other.
- Developed full requirements document and developed initial
pilot for an automated e-mail routing system that routed visitor
inquiries to various parties within the organization which would
free up two positions within the company once implemented.
Transferred to the RAX development team, which maintains an in-house
system developed in Delphi and Oracle for tracking distribution
of all publications of the company in 60+ markets throughout the
nation. The software tracks all publications and inventory, drivers,
driving routes, store locations, racks in the store, service frequency,
and which publications go in each pocket on the racks.
Helped manage and direct six person team in Re-architecting 2-tier
application based on Delphi and Oracle 8i that was formerly using highly
repetitive cut-and-paste coding techniques with no OOP into a stable and
highly maintainable system utilizing an OOA&D approach that drastically
reduced code base size. This allowed the project to continue and be supported
with only one developer and DBA as opposed to three full-time developers,
one Q/A, and two DBAs.
- Revamped a faulty architecture by eliminating a largely repetitive
cut-and-paste approach and introducing fuller use of object
oriented and design techniques.
- Code base was reduced from ~80k lines to ~35k lines of code.
The smaller code base stablized the application and allowed
development pace to dramatically increase. The project went
from three months over schedule to being completed ahead of
- Architected and implemented entire security model which allowed
the system administrator to manage users of the system and control
read/write/visibility access to various tabs and modules in
- Utilized advanced Windows messaging techniques to get around
16-bit DLL limitations imposed by third party equipment which
scans bubble sheets drivers fill out. This technique allowed
the software to be deployed on Windows NT and later Windows
2000 whereas it was previously limited to Windows 95/98 machines.
- Helped revamp some areas of application to process data in
batches and dramatically boosting user productivity.
- Introduced numerous custom built components to the system
to bring about more consistent underlying implementation and
user interface uniformity throughout the system.
- Built multi-platform installation scripts with InstallShield
and wrote Installation manual for end user as well as full troubleshooting
guide for field support technicians.
- Fully documented development techniques and suggested architectural
progressions before leaving assignment.
Oracle/Interbase DBA Consultant to ThinkWorks, Inc.
Served as Oracle/Interbase consultant on a part-time basis to
an Application Service Provider (ASP) which hosted a contact management
system for tracking all aspects of the employee lifecycle from
initial position definition and advertising to tracking the potential
candidates and their skills to post-hiring administration.
- Installed and configured Oracle data server.
- Developed migration tools in Delphi to allow in-house Paradox
based application to continue to be developed in Paradox and
automatically translate all database changes to Oracle and Interbase.
- Developed tool to automatically launch new companies from
a template whenever ThinkWorks signed a new hosting agreement
with a company.
Rio Systems International, Inc.
|Nov. 1998 -
Co-developed extensive underlying pure OO data access framework
in Delphi 4 that was designed to seamlessly switch between SQL
based database management systems without application rewrites
and to handle streaming of data objects across our multi-tiered
client/server applications. The framework is currently being utilized in
the company's central reservation modules and group reservation modules.
- Utilized the above framework to develop complex interfaces
between Rios retail applications and third party vendors which
involved DCOM and TCP/IP streaming.
- Built code generators that modeled the current database schema
for all of Rios retail applications and generated all data
objects for the framework. The generators were used to produce
approximately 30,000 lines of code.
- Also developed custom TDataset descendent for above framework
to allow RAD GUI development of new retail modules.
Advanced Technology Corporation, Inc.
|July 98 -
Became the fourth member of a very sophisticated Delphi development
team focused on a pilot project for modeling fiber optics networks
which incorporated many advanced OOP concepts as well as GIS for
"birds eye view" of the network. The project was a three-tiered
system written in Delphi 3 and utilizing Oracle 8 for the database
server and had over ten different object managers and nearly seventy
object classes representing the different data entities stored
in the database.
- Was able to successfully pick up the concepts and programming
philosophy of the team and begin making significant contributions
within two weeks of being hired.
- Successfully cleaned up several key communication components
to stabilized communications between the client and server, which
were previously leaving both components in unstable states whenever
network communications failed.
- Also was successful in re-architecting the data locking mechanisms
between client and server to support multi-user environments
and handle the many complex scenarios and possible interactions
with two or more clients working on the same data from the same
Dohring On-Line, Inc.
Chief software engineer as well as having full authority over
all technological issues, including software and hardware purchases,
software development cycles, network topography, management of
all technology, equipment, software, and security issues of the
corporation which consisted of twelve employees. Continued to
develop and enhance retail product, DataComp, which was acquired
from RESC, Inc. (below).
|Vice-President - IT
Chief Software Engineer
and Network Administrator
- Began second life-cycle of DataComp with a complete rewrite.
Wrote approximately 70,000 lines of Delphi code between January
and November of 1997. Development also corresponded with managing
and training a technical support person and standardizing and
supervising all testing procedures.
- Version 2.0 of the product, which was the first nationwide
release of the product was released in May of 1997 and grossed
over $150,000 for the year.
- Spun off a secondary product using the above retail product
as the base. This second product offered a Windows interface
to the companys dialup listing service; allowing the company
to resell data in an electronic format to customers who dialed
directly into the companys network using pcAnywhere.
Real Estate Software Concepts, Inc.
One of the two original founders of the company which was subsequently
bought out by Dohring On-Line, Inc.. Helped conceive and develop
a very well received database software package in Delphi for tracking
various types of properties of the commercial real estate appraisal
Chief Software Engineer
- Used Delphi and SQL to develop Version 1.0 the retail database
product which fueled the companys growth and sparked Dohring
On-Lines interest in buying the company.
- Worked with the company director to define development goals
and implement solutions to user needs. Helped the director understand
project time lines and prioritize implementation of the various
- Worked with the company director in analyzing the many complex
and varied property types to produce a database schema that
was simple and consistent, yet highly flexible and capable of
storing the various property types.
- Developed all core functions of the application, including
numerous VCL components.
- Designed a user interface that is widely regarded within the
industry as extremely easy to learn and use and is one of the
best ever. Overall satisfaction rate, as determined by periodic
surveys, was rated "excellent" by 92% of our users.
- Wrote the requirements specification of business proposals
when the director needed to present custom programming proposals
Argus Computing, Inc.
Started this general purpose computer consulting company immediately
after graduating with two other Tech Alumni. Average client billings
were at $80.00 per hour when company was sold. Was primary body
of knowledge concerning hardware, software, and diagnosis and
resolution of clients system.
- Utilized Visual Basic, MS-Access and SQL in a contract with
Arrow Factory Stores where a reporting and forecasting system
was developed to allow Arrow's factory buyers to forecast store
sales and quickly determine what clothing items needed to be
reordered; order them in bulk; and automatically determine the
splits for bulk orders for shipping to each store.
- Utilized MS-Access and SQL to develop a reporting application
for a medium sized local company and helped migrate this company
from DOS to Windows by installing a Novell network along with
replacing and upgrading all machines to Windows 95.
Georgia Tech Business Office
Provided hardware and software troubleshooting and general support
for MS-DOS, MS-Windows, UNIX, Internet, CICS, and Novell for approximately
350 users. Accomplishments include:
- Migrated approximately 200 workstations from Ungermann Bass
to Novell in eight different departments. Automated much of
the procedure through a combination of batch files and 'C' programming
to complete the task in under two weeks.
- Ported purchasing department's key order tracking program
from COBOL to Visual Basic and consolidated the various databases
into one central database that resides on the server.
- Developed a reporting program to summarize purchasing data
to enable the department, for the first time, to track employee
- Developed UNIX based programs used campus wide for monitoring
progress of purchase orders placed with Purchasing dept. and
to reformat uploaded data for accessibility through Gopher.
International Business Machines, Inc.
Miscellaneous accomplishments include:
- As head co-op of graphics department, automated and streamlined
graphics production process thus increasing production by over 300%.
- As personal assistant to IBM project manager, developed Paradox
database and automated procedures for finding and downloading
data from mainframe to generate desired reports. Tracked over
100,000 lines of code weekly.
- As part of quality control team, helped develop testing procedures
for a team of 30 programmers and subsequently automated testing
by writing over 300 script files using IBM's T.W.I.S.T. (a key
punch emulation package).
- As hardware and software support, installed OS/2 and LAN requester
and all hardware necessary for migrating to IBM token ring network
for over 100 workstations.